Rulebreakers shouldn’t ruin traditions for everyone

By Jesse Zhou
Staff Writer

The senior class has worked through four long, work-filled, sleep-deprived years in order to earn a few privileges, such as no lights out, prime parking spots and having a senior lounge. Among all, the most highly anticipated event is playing Assassins, a simple game in which people splash water on to their targets and win by “killing” the most people. However, this game has put the entire campus on edge. Worried about violation of school rules and decline in academic performance, the Deans decided to temporarily suspend Assassins, an action that upset many seniors. This decision has upset me as well; in fact, I believe that Assassins should be brought back so that the seniors can enjoy the rest of their time at Peddie as previous classes have done.

One reason why Assassins should be brought back is that the game is a bonding experience for the participants. Despite the fact that students must attempt to dodge their assassins, the game solidifies friendships by providing students with an unforgettable mutual experience during their last month at Peddie. The team spirit, alliances and betrayals make the game something that all students – and even some faculty members – look forward to partaking in.

Furthermore, the rules of the game abide with major school rules, which include the provision that classrooms are safe areas so the game does not interfere with academics. Dean of Students Peter McClellan has emphasized the observance of this particular rule. Even though there were a few instances where the rule was broken and classes were disrupted, such exceptions should not take away privilege of the majority. Just because there were a few cases where certain people decided to violate the parameters of the game does not mean that the rest of the population has to suffer the consequences. The few people that broke the trust of the faculty should receive a warning or even a punishment, but the game itself should not be cancelled.

Assassins is a cherished tradition at Peddie, and to cancel it for future classes would be a shame. Everyone looks forward to the beginning of senior spring and the privileges earned after four years of hard work. Therefore, we should keep Assassins as a tradition of bonding and enjoyment at Peddie.