“School of Rock” Rocks Peddie Audience

Tanvi+Dange17

Tanvi Dange’17

Nick Berlet'18, Staff Writer

On January 7, the Peddie School Arts Department arranged a trip for Peddie students to see the Broadway musical, The School of Rock. The story is about a man named Dewey Finn, who is kicked out of his band. In order to earn some money, he pretends to be his roommate, Ned Schneebly, and takes the job as a substitute teacher at a preparatory school – only to discover the tremendous musical talent of his students. With them, he creates a band titled “School of Rock,” hence the name of the musical. A conflict arises when it is obvious that he has overstayed his welcome as substitute, and his true identity is revealed. Nonetheless, he prevails, and his band of students put on an amazing show to finish.

Peddie students reacted to the play in a positive manner. Cristian Rodriguez ‘18 proclaimed, “It was a great show. All of the actors were extremely talented, and the plot was close enough to the movie so that enough people could still understand the play.” Additionally, Derek Kost ‘18 reflected on the people attending. “A great group attended the play, in a great place: New York City,” he said. Saturday Night Activities have provided students to gain new levels of culture during the school year. This was not the first trip to an orchestra performance or a Broadway play, thus displaying the new qualities of an amped SNA program.