Opinion: Don’t Wait for A Boy to Ask You, Girls

By: Rajae McClinek ’16
Staff Writer

With the Peddie Prom Facebook page flourishing with rich red, sparkling gold, and bold black dresses of predominantly upperclassmen girls; the time has come for prom.
Prom will be held at the Camden Aquarium on May 22. What is perhaps more talked about and anticipated than the actual dance are The Promposals.

The Promposal is a well accounted for aspect of prom season. The main idea behind The Promposal has remained through the years, however, the way in which it is executed changes over time. In today’s age, The Promposal has been reconfigured and transformed in correlation with the progression of our society.

In 2014, the world is truly realizing the equality of men and women as well as acknowledging that women have great power, value and influence. So, what is wrong with a girl asking a guy to prom?

Some say that it conflicts with traditional customs, however, I believe, along with many others, that the gender roles should be eliminated; that girls should ask boys to prom.

This year marks the start of Peddie’s first feminist club. Senyte Pierce ’15, one of the founders of the club, gave her perspective on girls asking guys to prom.

“I think that Peddie should support a girl that wants to ask a boy to a dance,” Pierce said. “Although, Peddie shouldn’t force girls to ask boys to prom, people should have a choice. Peddie should alleviate gender roles and boys shouldn’t have the sole responsibility of asking girls to prom.”

This sexist standard leaves boys feeling obligated and expected to be the initiator. With the possibility of rejection, boys are supposed to be brave enough to ask a girl to a dance. Discarding that ideology takes the pressure off.

Emma Izzo ’15 promposed to Mien “Brabeeba” Wang ’14 earlier this month, breaking gender roles.
“He’s funny, nice and adorable plus we were wrestling buddies so we were already friends,” Izzo said.

For Izzo’s promposal, she went to the science center where she handed Wang a box of chocolates that contained the universal question: Prom?

He accepted.