Comedian Ron G Comes to Peddie

Chet Kazalski '16, Staff Writer

Peddie students and faculty watched stand-up comedian Ron G perform in Geiger-Reeves on Jan. 10. Ron has been an actor and comedian for several years, performing all across the country. His previous work can be seen on NBC’s Last Comic Standing, as well as in Mulaney and Key and Peele.

Before the show, Ron sat down to dinner with a few of Peddie’s performing arts students. He shared his stories of how he got into show business after quitting accounting, and his aspirations to be “the next Kevin Hart.” Towards the end of the dinner, he went around to each student in the room, asking them about their plans for the future. He encouraged them to follow their dreams.

Minu Sadeghi '16 Madison Schoonmaker '16 Rebecca Diluzio '16 get on stage with visiting comedian for the Saturday Night Activity. Photographer: Rajae McClinek '16
Minu Sadeghi ’16 Madison Schoonmaker ’16 Rebecca Diluzio ’16 get on stage with visiting comedian for the Saturday Night Activity. Photographer: Rajae McClinek ’16

“You only get so many chances in life, so you shouldn’t second-guess them,” Ron said.

The students who ate dinner with Ron found him to be a very funny and likeable guy.

“I thought Ron G was an amazing guy, and I’m so glad I got to meet him,” Ayami Cho ’16 said. “He is truly a very talented individual and there are great things coming his way.”

After dinner, Ron performed for Peddie. The performance itself seemed controversial among students.

“I thought Ron G was funny overall, but I didn’t understand most of his jokes. Then again, I’m only 15, so I don’t know much about going to night clubs or waking up with a hangover,” Sydney Hixenbaugh ’18 said.

Although his set list was never based for a group of high school students, many students still shared the Ron’s sense of humor.

“I watch Last Comic Standing all the time, and I find stand-up comedy hilarious – even if I don’t completely relate to the jokes. If you just put yourself in [a different mindset], it’s easier to see how talented Ron G actually is,” Nitya Talreja ’17 said.

Despite the various sentiments of the student body, all seemed to enjoy how Ron finished the show by telling students to always follow their dreams.

“It was really inspiring and encouraging,” Tiffany Budiman ’17 said.