The 111th J. Walter Reeves Speaking Contest Ended as a Process of Self-Exploration and Reflection

Andrea Ortega 15 and Malley Chertkov 15 stand with their prizes from the J. Walter Reeves speaking contest.

Rajae McClinek '16

Andrea Ortega ’15 and Malley Chertkov ’15 stand with their prizes from the J. Walter Reeves speaking contest.

Mandy Xue '18, Staff Writer

The 111th Walter Reeves Speaking Contest came to its end with the brilliant performance by 12 finalists on April 2. First place was awarded to Andrea Ortega ’15, second place to Vivian Sun ’18, third place to Malley Chertkov ’15, and honorable mention to Kieran Beach ’15.

Jay Jaski, a theater teacher, directed this year’s speaking contest. Jaski has been involved in the Walter Reeves Speaking contest for three years, and this year was his second time directing it. Contestants all commented on how helpful and supportive Jaski was throughout the speech modification process.

Continuing its 11-year tradition, 46 students signed up for the speaking contest – a record, according to Jaski. Contestants had six weeks to write and revise their speeches under Jaski’s guidance, and spent the final week rehearsing with Jaski to practice speech delivery.

During the contest, the finalists discussed various themes and topics, a span from childhood stories, to personal growth, to global issues, demonstrating their variety of interests and backgrounds.

“For each individual, it is their personal truth that makes a good speech, that relates to the audience the best. It is important that they speak about what they believe in,” Jaski said.

For example, Hannah Campbell ‘17 chose to speak about a rather personal and sensitive topic – her abusive father and a reflection on their relationship. “For me, the purpose of the contest is to tell the school what I want to tell them. I felt very passionate about my story, and it was very therapeutic for me. It helped me let go of the past, and it was a weight off my shoulders,” she said,

On the other hand, runner-up, Vivian Sun ’18, shared a story about her academic life, and how she struggled to meet the standards set by herself and her parents.

“Academics have always been a huge emphasis on my life, and even though my speech doesn’t seem as deep as others’, it is what’s important to me,” Sun said.

Sun also expressed how her biggest growth in the contest was to trust people more.

“I reluctantly took Mr. Jaski’s advice, and had to cut down two paragraphs that I really liked. But it turned out to be the right thing to do. I have grown to learn to take criticism better,” Sun said.

This year’s judge, Paula Alekson worked in the McCarter Theatre in Princeton with Jaski.

“I have high respect for her, and I am completely satisfied with the result.” Jaski said. However, Jaski added, “Judging of any kind is inherently subjective.”

Contestants seem to value the experience of giving a speech more than winning awards.

“I didn’t win at all, but I still enjoyed the experience because the school heard my voice,” Katie Clark ’16 said.