Peddie Musicians Attend NYC Concert

Katie Thomsson ‘18, Staff Writer

Twenty-seven students from Peddie musical groups traveled to the Town Hall Theater in New York City to hear The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra perform on Oct. 23. The trip was open to students in jazz band as well as any other Peddie musicians and vocalists, and was offered to students at no cost. The performance was led by famous trumpeter and composer Wynton Marsalis, as well as 14 other soloists and composers. Many of the musical pieces were written by the composer, Thelonious Monk, and had unique improvisational styles.

After leaving campus, students and teachers arrived in New York City near Times Square and dined in small groups before the performance. After meeting back at the theater, everyone took their seats and waited for the music to begin.

One of the many talented guest performers was 11-year old pianist, Joey Alexander. Alexander was influenced by many jazz musicians such as Wynton Marsalis, and recently composed his first debut album. Peddie orchestra teacher and conductor Alan Michaels, described Alexander as “amazing on a level of heightened humanity.” Michaels also added that seeing such a talented, young pianist “was a motivating, great thing for the Peddie musicians” and overall a great performance to see.

Choral Director Marisa Green, agreed with Michaels.

“[The performances were] a revelation for some students…who came on the trip and hadn’t been exposed to this kind of jazz music before,” Green said.

The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra then took the stage and performed new styles of music that Peddie students had never heard before, such as improvisation, since the style of jazz music incorporates many interesting harmonic rhythms and improvisational solos. Green added that the music “manages to be minimalist and yet very complicated at the same time.”

Nicholas Gordon ’18 concurred with Green.

“This was my first time seeing a jazz concert and it was really cool to see how relaxed the concert was in comparison to that of a classical concert,” Gordon said.

After the unique and entertaining performance, Peddie students returned to school with hopes of trying to learn to play new types of music similar to that of composer, Thelonious Monk.

The Peddie bands, orchestras, and choruses will perform in their fall concert on Nov. 10.