Varsity Girls “Tip-Off” the Basketball Season

Courtesy of Jim Inverso

Kate Hill ’16 driving to the hoop

David Loughran '16, Sports Section Editor

The Varsity Girls Basketball team opened up their season by hosting the second annual “Tip-Off” Tournament this past weekend. The tournament featured three other teams besides the hometown Falcons, including the Penn Charter Quakers from Pennsylvania, the Roland Park Reds from Maryland and the St. Andrews Saints from Rhode Island.

In the opening game of the tournament on Friday, the Falcons fell to the Quakers 63-52, despite starting off the game strong. The second game on Friday saw the eventual tourney winners Roland Park Reds steamroll the St. Andrews Saints 62-31. In the consolation game on Saturday, the Falcons pulled out a last second win against St. Andrews, winning 44-43 on a last second winner by sophomore Natalie Stralkus. In the championship game, the Roland Park Reds continued their domination, defeating Penn Charter 75-49, claiming their second “Tip-Off” tournament title in as many years.

While it was not the outcome the team would have wanted, head coach Sarah Crider believes that this tournament can be looked at as a learning experience.

“Obviously not winning the first game and missing the opportunity to compete for the championship title was disappointing,” Crider said. “However competition against great teams like Penn Charter and St. Andrew’s  is what our team needs at this point in the season to highlight individual and team strengths, as well as identify areas of our game that need to be improved in order for us to be competitive in the MAPL and state competitions this year.”

When asked what the team needs to work on, Crider mentioned team chemistry, and thinks that the team just needs to get more comfortable with each other.

“We have only returned six varsity players from last season, so not only do we have fresh talent that everyone needs to get to know on and off the court, we also have new players that are just learning our system,” Crider remarked.

Stralkus echoed Crider’s point about team chemistry. However, Stralkus believes that once the team works out its kinks, Peddie Girls Basketball will be a force to be reckoned with, as the team is full of “talented, young players that love the game of basketball.”

Kate Hill ’16, who is the unquestioned leader of this Falcons team, has not had her expectations tampered one bit despite not making it to the “Tip-Off” tournament finals.

“Winning MAPLs and States is our team’s goal. I’ve wanted to win since I came here sophomore year and this is the last opportunity to do so,” Hill said. “There will be lots of tough competition but we’re a team that won’t back down from any challenge.”

Of course, it would be silly if the Falcons didn’t enjoy their own tournament, and they took advantage of having their first tournament of the season on their home court.

Stralkus “loved all of the school support [the team] received from many students and teachers, and how our tournament brought our entire school together!”

Next the Falcons will travel to Bullis Prep in Maryland to compete in the Bullis Tournament starting December 11.