Farewell, Mr. Quinn!
Nikita Goyal ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
Ocean Breeze Invitational
Luke Chon ’26, Assignment Editor • March 30, 2024
Should Peddie Have Snow Days?
Stephanie Oh ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
WeSoar Co-Chair Interview
Claire Chen ’24, Editor-in-Chief • March 30, 2024

John Green reflects on 12 years of leadership and relationships

Green's portrait was revealed alongside other former Heads of School on the walls of the Ayer Memorial Chapel on May 20.
Green’s portrait was revealed alongside other former Heads of School on the walls of the Ayer Memorial Chapel on May 20.
By Alexandra Seymour
Staff Writer

After a year of anticipation, John Green stands prepared to lead his final Peddie graduation ceremony and to pass the guidance of the school to his successor, Peter Quinn, as he officially retires from his position on June 30.

Green, who served as headmaster for 12 years, currently has no concrete plan for his future but nonetheless moves forward with many fond memories and skills developed from his time at Peddie.

“My favorite memories are always when people in the community are doing one of two things: enjoying periods of real joy where all the constituencies are mixed together for some kind of celebration, and when people come together in very similar ways but, rather than celebrating, they’re serving.”

Green has always marveled at the selflessness of the community and finds this willingness to serve as a prevailing characteristic.

“We have come together at critical times for each other when we’ve needed to but almost always for something larger,” Green said. “It’s not necessarily hours of service; it’s stepping forward when the occasion calls for it, and I think for the most part the people associated with Peddie have stepped forward every time.”

Green witnessed this even before he officially started working at Peddie when he attended a family style dinner and noted students’ reactions to a freshman accidently dropping a tray of dishes. “My wife and I remember distinctly that the reaction was not raucous applause, and we remember distinctly thinking that we had never been at a high school where that would not have generated some derisive cheer,” Green said.

On his second day as headmaster, the community immediately depended upon Green to show leadership skills during the most tragic moment of his tenure, the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

“I think it had two impacts early on,” Green said. “One is that it was such a traumatic happening for so many that it required, almost forced, me to the front of the room… before I had a good feeling for who was here and where I was. I think the second is that it presented the community at its best both in their support of me as a new headmaster and in their treatment of one another. So in a strange way it sort of cemented our relationship.”

Reflecting on his time as headmaster, Green does not view his success in terms of how many physical improvements he made. Instead, he hopes to be remembered by the impact that he’s had on people’s lives.

“I’ve always considered myself a teacher first and a headmaster second,” Green said. “The headmaster’s role in some respects just provided me a larger classroom, but I’ve never really shaken the notion of my instincts as being a teacher, mentor and example for others. That I’ve practiced what I’ve preached and developed authentic relationships out of which people can grow to be their best selves [is what I hope to be remembered by].”

Ultimately, Green’s accomplishments were not achieved alone. “It takes a village, and I am under no illusion that success attributed to my tenure is a product of the work of many,” Green said.

He particularly noted the efforts of Assistant Head of School Catherine Rodrigue, who worked with Green prior to their arrival at Peddie. “I’ve been enormously fortunate to have somebody so competent, capable and supportive because, to be perfectly honest, a headmaster’s job is too big for one person,” Green said.

While Green does have regrets, he does not let them hold him back. Instead, he tries to learn from them. “I have worked just about as hard as I possibly could,” Green said. “I tried to give about as much as I had to give. I tried to do it with honor and humility. In that sense I have no regrets. But regardless of all that, I’ve fallen short at times, I’ve made mistakes, I’m utterly human. But I can live with them because of the way I’ve tried to live my life.”

Green hopes that Peddie continues to strive for excellence and realizes that success is bigger than getting into college or getting a job. He compares graduates to pebbles in a pond; the rings keep going as graduates continue to fulfill their obligation to live lives of importance.

“I am grateful, thankful and blessed to interact with so many people from all walks of life, and I will miss them all,” Green said.