Girls Tennis Prepares to Swing into Blair Day

Sophie Furigay'18, Sports Section Editor

img_9218
Tanvi Dange’17

Girls Tennis is having a great season with a record of nine wins, one tie, and one loss.  When looking at their success, the varsity and junior varsity coaches shared what they think is the cause.

Varsity Tennis Coach Joshua Sham believes that the team’s success is due to that athletes’ focus and determination going into every match.  For example, during their county tournament, many of the girls lost their first match and were put into the loser’s bracket, or back draw. Even though they did not have a chance to place, the girls in the back draw continued to win matches in order to score more points for the team.  

“Because they took every single match as an opportunity to get better, and took [the match] seriously, [the team was] far more successful because of our approach and mentality,” Sham said.

Junior Varsity Head Coach Reverend Johan Johnson claimed that it was the leadership on the team. Rebecca Patterson ’18 and Lauren Magid ’18 started to play tennis this year, and have shown enthusiasm every day at practice. This eager tone to improve spreads to the rest of the team.

“The success is because of the students,” Johnson said of the 23 athletes on the team.

“Coming to practice every day, I try my best to improve upon whatever I can, and always try to keep a positive mindset,” Patterson ’18 said.

One of the great things about having such a large team is that when players get injured, there are plenty of other students to sub in. During Varsity’s County’s Tournament, their first, third, and fifth best players were injured, but other students took the opportunity to step up.  

Also, the team has been fortunate to have great weather this season, and brand new courts to play on.

At this point in the season, junior varsity is mainly trying to gear up for Blair day. One Peddie teacher said that the win or loss might come down to tennis.  How the JV team does against Blair “makes or breaks the season” and Johnson is “cautiously optimistic” about their win.  

Looking forward, the varsity team is excited to have a spirited audience at Blair in just over two weeks.  

“The opportunity to contribute to the whole school means a lot to the girls,” Sham said.