Peddie Boys’ and Girls’ Crew heads to Head of the Charles Regatta

Shabrina Supriyono '20, Staff Writer

Thousands of rowers from around the globe, including Peddie’s Boys’ and Girls’ crew teams, arrived at Boston on Oct. 21, to compete at the elite Head of the Charles Regatta, the largest two-day regatta in the world. The course is 4.8 kilometers and is renowned for its very sharp turns.

Peddie’s first varsity women’s boat competed in the Women’s Youth Coxed Quad. Rowers Regan Cook ‘19, Becky Kim ‘20, Eileen Yang ‘20 and Clara Middleton ‘21 and coxswain Sarah Park ‘19 finished the course in 21:11.854, placing 22nd among 42 boats.

“This was the first year in my time on the team that both a boys and girls boat went up to the Charles, and it was a great bonding experience for everyone driving up all day to Boston,” said Cook.

Peddie’s first varsity men’s boat competed in the Men’s Youth Fours. Rowers Zen Rizzuto ‘19, Igor Olchanski ‘20, Trevor Probst ‘20, Christian Jackson ‘20 and coxswain Max Bailey ‘20 finished the course in 19:04.228, placing 33rd amongst 85 boats, guaranteeing an entry in the 2019 Regatta.

“Head of the Charles may have been very cold, windy, and had extremely sub-par rowing conditions, but the people there made it fun. It was a trip to remember, and it was fun to be a part of something so much greater than yourself, your boat, or even your program as a whole. Charles is a living sentiment to the rowing world and continues to bring people together year after year. I’m glad I got to be a part of it”, said Rizzuto.

The team will continue its training during the winter to prepare for the Spring season.