Sophomore Volunteer Trip
Isabella Lam ‘26, Staff Writer • November 15, 2023
120th Annual Blair Day
Leena Mirchandani ’25, Editor-in-Chief • November 15, 2023
Blair Week 2023
Lakhi Raju ’24, Managing Editor • November 15, 2023
Fall Broadway Trip: Some Like It Hot
Stephanie Oh ’26, Staff Writer • October 29, 2023
The Best Peddie Instagram Accounts
Sophie Wang ’27, Staff Writer • October 29, 2023

Girls varsity golfers hit stride late in season

Caley Z. follows through after a long drive. (Photo courtesy of Jim Inverso)
By Shivani Gupta
Staff Writer

The girls varsity golf team experienced a challenging but rewarding season, finishing at 2-5-1.

“Our biggest strengths this year are our three remark¬able co-captains, Caley [Zheng ’13], Casey [Zheng ’13] and Kat [Brocker ’13]. They know how to play the game,” head coach Jim Truslow said. “New [golfers] Lynna [Ye ’15], Kelly Coyle ’16 and Katie Fenlon ’15 are extremely enthusiastic about getting better.”

Although the Falcons struggled early on losing their first three matches, they progressed with the season, notching their two victories – against Colts Neck (203-205) and Hightstown High (226-253) – in the month of May.

“They got better with the weather and came out strong in the end,” Truslow said.

A season highlight was the Mercer County Tournament, held on April 26 at Mt. View Golf Course.

Individually, Brocker completed the par-72 course with an 89, while Casey Zheng and Caley Zheng scored a 100 and a 101, respectively. Brocker’s fifth place finish helped the team take sec¬ond place overall.

“Our proudest moment was taking second in the Mercer County Tournament,” Coyle said. “We all played really well and posted good scores individually. It was also my proudest mo¬ment because it was the first time I played 18 holes and was pretty consistent.”

In addition, the girls took fourth place at the MAPL Cham¬pionships at Blair on May 15 and third place at the NJISAA Prep State Championships at home on May 17. The boys and girls teams also worked together to organize and host the second annual Swing Against Cancer tournament at the Peddie Golf Course on April 23. The Falcons teamed up with both MAPL and non-league schools in order to raise more than $10,000 for Coaches against Cancer.

“I thought our Swing Against Cancer fundraising invi¬tational was really great,” Ye said. “It was awesome seeing so many golfers from all those different schools playing on our golf course to support cancer research.”

In the end, the golfers were pleased with their collective and individual efforts this season.

“I am so proud of everyone, but I am also proud of my¬self for deciding to play golf this season instead of PA,” Jenny Lee ’13 said. “It is my second year playing golf, but I have improved a lot.”