Students Celebrate Halloween with Dinner and Costumes

By: Hannah Campbell ’17
Staff Writer

Peddie hosted its annual Halloween dinner and costume contest on Oct. 31.

The dining hall was decorated like a graveyard to add to the festivity. The Peddie Food Service served wings, mashed potatoes, cupcakes, strawberries and chocolate.

Many characters were seen at the Halloween dinner, here are some of the creatively crafted costumes crafted by students.  Photographer: Rajae McClinek ‘16
Many characters were seen at the Halloween dinner, here are some of the creatively crafted costumes crafted by students.
Photographer: Rajae McClinek ‘16

According to Robin Okunowo ’17, a Peddie sophomore who dressed up as ‘undercover,’ wearing a blanket over her head and all black, the Halloween dinner was very enjoyable. “Wings are my favorite,” she said. “Halloween is my favorite holiday.”

Elizabeth Sullivan ’17 said her “favorite part was all the cool decorations and seeing everybody in their costumes.”

Photographer: Rajae McClinek ‘16

The Halloween costume contest took place during the dinner. Spanish teacher Allison Schaefer, Assistant Director of Admissions Peter Park ’07 and visual arts teacher Rachel Aisenson judged and awarded first, second and third place in the single, double and group costume categories. A cash prize was given to the winners.

“I didn’t think that I was going to win because there were so many great costumes, but it was a cool feeling to win,” Okunowo, one of the winners in the single category said.

Photographer: Rajae McClinek ‘16

Sullivan, who was ‘Ice, Ice Baby’ with two other people, was one of the winners for the group costumes. Sullivan said that winning “was very unexpected.” She said that she dressed up to begin with because she wanted to be in a costume with her friends.

“Our costume was homemade because we wanted to do a really cool pun,” Sullivan said.