Cancellation of the Varsity Football Team’s Final Home Game of the Season Provokes Controversy

By: Caroline Casey ’15
Editor-in-Chief

Following chapel on Oct. 31, the administration announced to the varsity football team that their final home game against the Hun School that was scheduled to take place the next day was canceled because of too many injured players.

With only 14 healthy players, some athletes would end up playing the entire game, which the administration thought could lead to more injuries, said Athletic Director Jim Domoracki. Domoracki, Head of School Peter Quinn, athletic trainer Jose Roca and the football coaches were all involved in making the decision.

This decision provoked mixed emotions throughout the Peddie community. Several parents of football players came to campus to talk with the players and administration, and the varsity football players all wore their jerseys to class for the rest of the day.

“It was the final home game for the seniors, there was more to it than one home game,” varsity football player Carson Vey ’15 said. “I understand the concerns, but we would have been fine if they gave us a chance to start the game.”

Students gathered on center campus on Oct. 31 to rally against the decision to cancel the Saturday football game against the Hun School. Photographer: Carson Vey ’15

Controversies surrounding the reason why the game was cancelled circled the campus. Some believed that the decision to cancel the game was driven by Hun’s dominant football performance, as Peddie’s team was able to play Mercersburg Academy with only 17 healthy players. Some questioned whether JV players could have been brought up to play with the varsity game. However, the administration asserts that the decision was purely motivated out of worry for the health of the players.

“It was a hard decision to make, but not a hard decision if you take away the emotional aspect,” Domoracki said. “We felt it would be reckless to put the boys out there.”

During lunch on Friday, the football team decided to hold a student rally on center campus at 3:00 p.m., directly following classes. Many students joined the rally in solidarity with the football team.

“I thought it was good what [the students] did in supporting the team,” Samantha Scott ’18 said.

Many students have mixed opinions about the rally and the reaction of the football team.

“I sympathize with the football players, but I understand where the administration was coming from,” Jessica Powell ’15 said. “I question whether the football team would have supported any other team if they were in the same situation.”

Faculty members also have their opinions about the cancellation of the game.

“The team prepared for a week, and to tell them on Friday was bad timing,” librarian Brian Dubrule said. “To tell the team on Monday or Tuesday would have been better.”

The Peddie administration reached out to Hun to see if they would be able to reschedule the game for a later date.

“Hun has to agree to do it…they might not be able to fill a team,” Domoracki said. “And even if Hun and Peddie agree, we have to take it to the MAPL league.”

The question remains as to whether the football team will have enough healthy players to play on Blair Day on Saturday, Nov. 8.

“The team is practicing like they have a game,” Domoracki said. “If we have 17 healthy players, we can play.”