Expanding the Arts Department with Two New Electives

By: Sara Vargas ’18
Staff Writer

In addition to the many visual arts classes already offered by the Arts Department, a new course on printmaking will be offered next term. Photographer: Janine Karo ’15
The Peddie Arts Department is offering two new electives for the winter term: Global Percussion and Printmaking.

The Global Percussion class, taught by Director of Music Alan Michaels, will expose students to various instruments from around the world. Students will explore the connection between contemporary music and historical pieces. Michaels will supplement student exploration through demonstrations and lessons on the history of the instruments handled in class. No musical knowledge is required, and it is a great opportunity for students to learn about new instruments, cultures and music.

Rachel Aisenson, a new addition to the Peddie Arts Department, will be offering a printmaking elective for those interested in visual arts. The class will mostly deal with learning how and why certain materials work better with others.

“Print making is a very processed-based art,” Aisenson said. “Like with a drawing, you would just kind of draw it on a piece of paper then you’re done. It’s almost like making a stamp.”

Along the way, students will learn how to solve problems creatively and collaborate with one another. This elective, which is open to all students, is meant to create a diverse community of students who learn how work together. Aisenson highly encourages students who are interested to try out this elective.