New Teachers are Excited to Join Peddie

Written by Grace G.
Staff Writer

New Teachers are Excited to Join Peddie

Peddie is welcoming a wide range of teachers for the 150th school year.

Almost all the new teachers said that their primary reason for coming to Peddie is that it is an extremely welcoming and friendly community. Many are still getting used to the new schedule, but the returning students and faculty are extremely helpful in assisting their transition, the new faculty said. Almost every department is welcoming a new teacher, and some departments have multiple new faculty members.

The Science Department will be welcoming two new teachers: Caitlin McDermott and Jennifer Terhaar. Terhaar is teaching anatomy and AP biology as well as coaching boys’ novice crew.

“I left West-Windsor Plainsboro High School on maternity leave and never went back because I saw that Peddie had a job opening,” Terhaar said. “I know some of the people who work here and I’ve actually been on campus a couple of times before. Once I started here, I was immediately welcomed to the Peddie community by the students and my coworkers.”

McDermott worked at Mt. Holyoke for the past year. She has never taught high school before, but she is excited for the new opportunity- especially because it will be at Peddie.

“I am looking forward to having one year under my belt. I still feel so much like a freshman,” McDermott said. “DMX, PFS, XOXO. What does it all mean? However, I really like everything feeling so new. It’s nice to always be surprised. You have the pleasure of being surprised by your students every day in some way.”

In the arts department, Jay Jaski will be replacing Harry Holcombe as a theater and speech and debate teacher. He will be directing the freshman musical, the Declamation Contest, the Walter Reeves Speaking Contest and directing the spring play, The Heidi Chronicles. He will also be the advisor of the debate club. He feels grateful to work in a place where students truly want to learn and embrace the challenge.

“I actually heard about the job opportunity from a family member, a resident of the area, who learned that Harry Holcombe would be leaving Peddie after 45+ years,” Jaski said. “Harry Holcombe is not someone who could ever be replaced. And he has been such a huge help in preparing me for this position. His love for his students is something that I have made a point to inherit, and I am honored and humbled to be his successor.”

Kevin Eaton has been hired as the director of the technology department. He served as the Director of Technology at Pennington for the past twelve years and looks forward to working at Peddie.

“My two favorite things so far include both the people and the pragmatic culture surrounding technology,” Eaton said. “My style is to listen and gain a deep understanding of the community – and then to help guide the conversations to be sure that technology best serves the needs of the community.”

The admissions office will be welcoming Alexandra Holzman and Laura Koerckel Selvig.

Holzman comes to Peddie from the admissions office at Morristown-Beard, and will be in charge of the tour guide program as well as serving as an Assistant Director of Admission.

“I am interested in learning more about the boarding school life and experience,” Holzman said. “So far the kids here have been great, I’m looking forward to getting to know more of them and seeing for myself what makes Peddie such a terrific place.”

Slevig graduated from Peddie in 1991 and is returning to Peddie as an Assistant Director of Admission.

In addition, Stefanie Graefe and Ray Finn will be joining Peddie’s history department; Imad Labban joins the math team; Joe Murtaugh is joining Peddie as a full-time English teacher after teaching part-time and coaching Peddie’s men’s varsity crew; Melissa von Stade is the new assistant head for development at Peddie; Taylor White, who taught English in Spain and Italy, is joining Peddie as a Spanish teacher; and Jim Domoracki comes to Peddie as the new athletics director after serving as the athletic director of Annapolis Area Christian School.