Farewell, Mr. Quinn!
Nikita Goyal ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
Ocean Breeze Invitational
Luke Chon ’26, Assignment Editor • March 30, 2024
Should Peddie Have Snow Days?
Stephanie Oh ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
WeSoar Co-Chair Interview
Claire Chen ’24, Editor-in-Chief • March 30, 2024

Opinion: Relocating Mooney’s Office to Campus Center is Unnecessary

By: Alyssa Lee ’14
Section Editor

It has been proposed that Mr. Mooney, Dean of Students’ Life, would move his office from Annenberg Hall to Finn Caspersen Campus Center. Those who support his move contend that this would allow more new, day students to become a more active part of the Peddie community by locating Mooney’s office next to Masland room. However, moving Mooney’s office and later the entire Deans’ Office to students’ center is unnecessary for several reasons.

Comparing to second floor of students’ center, Annenberg Hall Deans’ Office is a more accessible place. Most classes students take, for example humanities, English, math, and languages, are taught in Annenberg Hall. Because most of these classes are a part of the graduation requirements, it is very likely that students are familiar with Annenberg Hall. Therefore, when students need to talk with Mr. Mooney, they would know where to go.

“I live in Caspersen dorm and almost all my classes are located in Annenberg Hall,” said Sandra Ho’14.

In comparison to Annenberg Hall, Masland Room is less accessible to many students.

“Many students do not venture beyond the dinning hall of the students center. And many boarders don’t know where the Masland Room is,” said Sarah Sun’14.

Though many students go to students’ center for meals, not all of them climb up the stairs to Masland Room. Mostly, only day students whose lockers are located next to Masland Room and who have a free period would go there. It is quite unlikely that boarding students would be at Masland Room, thus making the location a bit less convenient for most people.

“I didn’t know about Masland Room until senior year,” added Ho’14.

Moving only one dean to students’ center also separates Mooney from the rest of the Deans and might lead to confusion. It has been long recognized that all the deans work in the Deans’ Office in Annenberg Hall. Yet only moving one dean to Students’ Center makes it harder for students to know where to go when they have appointments.

“Often times when I need to ask Mr. Mooney questions about long weekend and travelling, I know where his office is – Annenberg. But I think less people will approach him once he moves his office to second floor of students center,” said Sun’14.

“It’s really confusing if only Mr. Mooney’s office moves to students’ center because when I need to go find a Dean, I don’t know if I should go to Annenberg or Stud,” said Grace Gu’16.

Though locating Mooney’s office next to the Masland Room is convenient for Day Students, such location would be less convenient for the rest of the student and faculty body. Thus, moving Mooney’s office to Students’ Center is not an optimal solution to encourage community participation.