Peddie Finds Success Against Rival Lawrenceville

David Loughran '16, Sports Section Editor

Many Peddie fall sports teams were in action on Parent’s Day, going toe-to-toe against long-time MAPL rival Lawrenceville on Oct. 17.

The day was a success for many Peddie teams, with Peddie’s overall record against Lawrenceville for the day being 5-4-2. Varsity football was one of the teams that won, blowing out the Big Red 42-14. Head Coach Chris Malleo was a coach at Lawrenceville before coming to Peddie, which was a big story coming into the game.

Other finals included girls varsity field hockey losing 2-0 and girls JV field hockey losing 6-1. The girls cross country team won 34-21, while the boys cross country team fell 31-25. Both girls soccer teams tied the Big Red, with the varsity squad playing two overtime periods. In boys’ soccer, the varsity team won 5-3, the JV team won 1-0, and the thirds team lost 4-0. Finally, the girls JV tennis team won 6-3 against Lawrenceville.

While the rivalry may not be new for some Falcons, it was the first Lawrenceville Day for Athletic Director Jason Baseden. However, Baseden understands the importance of games against MAPL league opponents.

“I think any time we line up against a MAPL team, we bring more to the table,” said Baseden. “In regards to Lawrenceville, I think we get fired up to play them because they have 300 more students and they are located about 15 miles away.”

Baseden remarked that he was very impressed with the level of competition and sportsmanship on Saturday.

“It was clear that the Peddie students woke up focused on Saturday and it showed in the win/lose column. I guess you could say this was a warm up for our next big home weekend: Blair Day,” Baseden said.

Blair Day is on Nov.7, and the Falcons will try to win the Potter-Kelley Cup for the second straight year.