New Security System – Fobs

Peddie+Flickr
Conor McArdle
Peddie Flickr

Starting spring term, all members across Peddie’s campus began following a new security system in which all buildings are only accessible via fobs. This change was made with reflection and in conversation with the Peddie security team. Students and employees are now required to use their Peddie card or fob to access all buildings on campus. 

Although this is a very important measure for safety, the change was definitely challenging at first. As a day student, I was not very used to using my Peddie card to access buildings on campus. I would often forget that the buildings were locked, and sometimes even forget my Peddie card when needed. For boarders it is more familiar, yet still challenging. However, as time went on I have definitely become more used to this new procedure. 

My experience is similar to many students on campus. Day student Julisa Lugo 26 is a day student who shares the difficulty of   accessing buildings. She shared, “I believe the security change is necessary, but it’s definitely a struggle when I have to call security when I forget my fob at night, especially as a day student who can’t always call a friend in study hall.” Froma boarder who shares a similar experience, Lucy Guarinin ’26 emphasized,“I think that the fobs are a great way to keep people out of the dorms, but I feel like it is annoying if you forget yours and have to wait for someone.”

Overall, this security measure is definitely necessary, but it can be challenging for both boarders and day students, who are used to the buildings usually being unlocked. What are your thoughts on this change?