Peddie Spring Break Trip Highlight: Visiting China and EFZ!

Beautiful Shanghai City!
Olivia Lu ’27
Beautiful Shanghai City!

You may know through emails, teachers, friends or Chapel talks that Peddie was able to organize two trips over spring break: one to Costa Rica and one to China. Both of these trips were immersive cultural experiences and invaluable opportunities for the students of Peddie. Peddie News is featuring two articles about these trips, one about the trip to Costa Rica and another about the one to China, which is this one!

Over spring break, three faculty chaperones and 17 Peddie students traveled to China, specifically to Shanghai, Suzhou, Lijiang and Beijing. There, they experienced a rich immersion in China’s colorful culture, visited historical and modern sites, ate all different kinds of Chinese food and more. 

They first visited Shanghai (上海), which lies right next to the coast. Shanghai City is renowned as a major economic, financial, scientific and cultural center of the world and is the third-largest city in the world. In Shanghai, the group on the trip stayed with EFZ, our sister school — you might remember them from their Chapel talk and the gift their principal bequeathed upon us. At EFZ, they were able to experience the life of a typical Chinese high school student and get to know the students of our sister school. During the entire trip, students were also able to stay with host families in the area, where they could live as one of the host family’s members. Dr. Yiqun Jiang, the head chaperone of the trip and a Chinese teacher at Peddie, said, “Our current and past Chinese families there treated the group with generosity and enthusiasm, making us feel like being at home.”

The group then took one of China’s renowned high-speed trains to Suzhou (苏州). Suzhou is less famous than Shanghai but is an amazing tourist destination. It’s known for its classical gardens, which boast canals, beautiful flora, traditional Chinese architecture and lakes. In Suzhou, the trip was again hosted by a Peddie family. Suzhou is home to delicious, traditional Chinese food (part of the Jiangsu cuisine of China’s Eight Great Cuisines), as well as traditional Chinese performances, which the group experienced during their stay. 

Next, the students and chaperones flew to Lijiang (丽江) in the Yunnan (云南) province. Lijiang is a very old city, and it is famous for the Old Town of Lijiang, which is a UNESCO heritage site. Lijiang is also home to many ethnic minorities (for context, most of the people of mainland China are of the Han ethnic group), particularly the Naxi. The group on the trip was able to learn about the Naxi, their culture, language and traditions, and engage in activities such as making pu’er tea and flower cakes. 

Finally, China’s capital of Beijing (北京) served as the trip’s last stop. With a population of over 20 million people, Beijing is recognized as a center of culture, diplomacy, economy, politics, technology, education and much more. During the trip to Beijing, they were also able to meet host families as well as visit many famous tourist sites. These sites include the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven and the Summer Palace, where they learned about Chinese history and culture. 

Reflecting on the trip, Dr. Jiang said, “This trip provided ample opportunities for our students to learn and experience Chinese culture beyond classroom boundaries. It also strengthened our relationship with our sister school and Peddie family ties.” Ultimately, it’s evident that the spring break trip to China was an incredible experience, rich with travel, culture, and knowledge alike — and most importantly, fun!