Co-President Statement : Ethan Lee

Candidate Statement 

I am not meant for sport.

I tore my ACL my sophomore year and again my junior year. The doctor diagnosed me with hyperextension and suggested that I have to be careful in any physical activity that I do. Since
then, I have been thinking about ways that allow me to contribute back to the Peddie community without injuring myself again, and I believe that the role of Co-President is my best chance.

Being a Co-President at Peddie does not only mean speaking up for the student community but also taking action with the limited power that one has. I have heard lots of complaints
about aspects of student life at Peddie, from visitation hours to Wifi shutting down. Yes, the student council will keep on addressing these issues, but more importantly, actions need to be taken. People wanted a Media Day, so I organized one. DEI needed a workshop, so I organized one. The community wants a change, so I am running for Co-President. Governing student council and the school will take a good portion of your time, what other activities both in and out of school do you plan on participating in? How will you balance them?

In the winter, I am actively recovering from my injury with a therapist but I am also part of ASA, which is a student group that helps the athletic department organize game days. Whether it is controlling the shot clock or welcoming the visiting teams, I always use this opportunity to photograph my peers and to show support. Injury might have forbidden me from participating in physical activities but it allowed me to have more free time to accomplish my own goals and support the community.

What qualities do you possess that makes you a good role model and representative that will allow you to be a leader of the entire school?

I have taken on several leadership roles, starting with being an ISO leader at the International Student Orientation. Helping the new international students settle in was something that I always wanted to do because I missed orientation week my freshman year and I realized the importance of that guidance. I am also on the student DEI council, which allows me to work closely with the DEI team to make the most out of the DEI day each trimester and raise awareness for the neglected.

What ideas do you have for change and how would you implement these ideas?
What would you like to continue?

I would continue the fun community meetings that we had throughout the year, such as pieing faculties and student v. faculty basketball games. I would address the systemic issues in the school, including the Wifi policy and the strict visitation policies, but at the same time, I will take action to resolve any less noticeable but addressable problems, such as more options for afternoon activities and better weekend activities.

Q & A 

What are some clubs, activities, teams, or groups that you’re a part of on campus? 

2 year varsity physical therapy, Student DEI council, ISO leader, Chinese Culture Club, ASA manager

What is your favorite Peddie tradition/Peddie memory? 

nuggets and pep rally

What are some things you like to do in your free time? 

i take pictures

Favorite book/movie/tv show? 

YOU and midnight gospel

What song have you been listening to most right now? 

Jungle

Share a fun fact about yourself!

i have 7 cats back in china