Co-President Statement : Brian Fan

Candidate Statement 

Hey Peddie,

FALCONS!

My name is Brian Fan, and I am here to be your school president. I write to you all today as a champion of your voices. In my 10,800+ hour time here on campus, the presidency has always personified the soul of the student body. They are more vocal than any microphone, more tenacious than any politicians—they embody what it means to be a fellow Peddie student.

Governing student council and the school will take a good portion of your time, what other activities both in and out of school do you plan on participating in? How will you balance them?

This year, I’ve continued my tenure as president of the Peddie Model UN Club along with a number of other commitments. Given my experience with demanding obligations, I am not only well-prepared for the duties of Student Council President, but willing to step further than any other candidate to make students’ hopes a reality.

What qualities do you possess that makes you a good role model and representative that will allow you to be a leader of the entire school?

A vote for me, is a vote for yourself. To me, the best leaders are transparent and persevering in their endeavors. They’re both boundary-pushers and firm-believers in collective power. As president of the Model UN club, I led an expansionary project to establish numerous new leadership positions because I believe numbers equate to power. Being your president, I will ensure your voices are amplified and heard unlike any other administration has previously by allowing students to take on more leadership roles.

What ideas do you have for change and how would you implement these ideas? What would you like to continue?

I seek to liberate your ideas. As your president, I will not only help individual interest-groups at Peddie, but student wellbeing across the board:

(1) CLUB FUNDS. Fellow leaders, you and I both know the struggle for funding and resources. Under my administration, we will jumpstart an endowment fund to help student-led clubs at Peddie. Beyond fundraising for prom and homecomings throughout the year, student council will help fundraise capital and provide grants to student-led clubs on campus. More money,
more opportunities.

(2) DIRECT VOTING. As president, direct-ballots boxes—easy, accessible, and online—will ensure your voices can impact Student Council work within seconds. We will establish a communications team specialized in community outreach and hosting student-votes for faculty-student senate meetings.

(3) COMMUNICATION. Students deserve to know exactly what their elected officials are doing. Hence, the Instagram page will be back bigger than ever before, with BI-WEEKLY agendas being posted to keep the community up-to-date with student council affairs.

Q&A

What are some clubs, activities, teams, or groups that you’re a part of on campus? 

I am president of the Peddie Model UN team and a rower on the varsity rowing team.

What is your favorite Peddie tradition/Peddie memory? 

Screaming the Ala Viva and playing outdoor volleyball in the spring!

What are some things you like to do in your free time? 

Eating, working out, and sleeping (anywhere, anytime).

Favorite book/movie/TV show? 

Profiles in Courage by JFK. The Trial of the Chicago 7. Shameless.

What songs have you been listening to most right now? 

Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, and Taylor Swift 🙂

Share a fun fact about yourself! 

My Chinese name is named after New Jersey.