Peddie Swim Team Secures Strong Finish at Eastern Zone Age Group Championships

The Peddie School’s varsity swim team recently made waves at the 2024 Eastern Zone Age Group Championships held in Webster, N.Y., securing an impressive 5th place overall. This achievement marks the team’s highest placement since 2017 and highlights their dedication and hard work throughout the season.
Reflecting on the team’s performance, sophomore swimmer Hannah Bateman shared, “Our coaches were really happy with our performances and results. The energy that the team brought was great. Everyone was cheering and showing relentless support.” This camaraderie and team spirit undoubtedly played a crucial role in the team’s success, fostering an environment of encouragement and unity. The enthusiasm for future prospects is evident among the team members, especially with Bateman expressing her excitement for the years to come when she cited the team’s abundance of underclassmen already making significant strides in their swimming endeavors.
For sophomore Lola Early, the championships marked a memorable milestone as she experienced her first A finals. Despite the pressure of high expectations, Early found comfort in the unwavering support of her teammates, transforming the intimidating arena into a familiar setting reminiscent of Peddie’s pool. Early remarked, “The supportive atmosphere in our team makes us excited for every swim. We all worked really hard for it, and in the end, it was an amazing experience.”
In the girls’ events, Peddie’s talent was evident, particularly in the 200 Yard Medley Relay where the team secured an impressive fifth-place finish. This achievement showcased the team’s cohesion and skill with each member contributing to the overall success of the relay. Additionally, in the 400 Free Relay, the team delivered another standout performance, securing a commendable seventh place overall. These achievements underscore the team’s talent across various events, demonstrating their strong competitive skills at the national level.
Likewise, in the boys’ events, Peddie’s efforts were commendable, specifically through their 200 Yard Free Relay where the team secured an 11th place finish. In the 200 Yard Medley Relay, the team placed 13th, displaying their speed, skill and coordination in the water across different swimming disciplines.
As the Peddie swim team continues to make strides and push boundaries, their recent success at the Eastern Zone Age Group Championships serves as a testament to their hard work, dedication and unwavering team spirit. With a promising roster of underclassmen and a supportive environment driving them forward, the future looks bright for Peddie’s varsity swim program.