Twins at Peddie

Yulia Gu '21, Staff Writer

The Peddie community is made up of students of unique backgrounds. However, some students share more in common with each other than most, 50% of their DNA, to be specific. At least fifteen students across the student body have a twin, all of them fraternal.

According to Associate Director of Admission Hannah McCollum, the admissions office does not track the number of twins who apply every year, but  “the numbers of twin applicants seems to have been relatively stable over the past 10 years or so, though we may have seen a slight increase this year.”

When asked about attending school with her brother, Moon Ding ’22 said, “going to the same school with my brother didn’t really matter a lot to me, but it provides comfort and a safe feeling […] and makes me more confident.” She also said that her family would have respected their choice of school even if  they attended different schools, but ultimately preferred for them to attend school together.

For Mia Huang ’20 and her family, going to the same school as her brother was  important, as “it would be hard for my mom to drive both my brother and me to different schools everyday,” Huang said.

Other students shared similar thoughts. According to Becky Harris ’19, “It wasn’t necessary for us to attend school together, but we both grew up here so I guess it was important for us because we wanted to be together.” She enjoys having a twin going to the same school because while “he’s annoying sometimes, I love being able to see him around and embarrass him, but also always have someone there,” Harris said.

Not all Peddie students attend the same school as their twin. “Having a twin that doesn’t go to the same school as me is really interesting,” said Kavya Borra ‘20, because “almost every week I’ll mention something about [my sister] and people will ask ‘Wait, you have a twin sister?’” For Borra and her sister, choosing a school was more about finding a good fit for each of them, and they  happened to find that fit at two different schools. Not attending the same school throughout the day has improved their relationship: they “don’t fight as much anymore because we don’t get to see each other as often,” Borra said.