Peddie Takes on Lawrenceville on Parents’ Day 2022

Jim Inverso

Peddie Boys Soccer plays Lawrenceville.

Lakhi Raju '24, Staff Writer

On October 15, Peddie parents from around the world came together for Parents & Family Day to experience what academic life looks like for Peddie Falcons. Parents had many opportunities to engage with each other through social events and conversations with delicious snacks. Chaitanya Godavarthi P ’24 felt “so comfortable with all the parents, and [she] was so happy to become friends with people who had similar interests from all over the world.” 

After a morning of stepping into students’ shoes and attending classes, parents were able to enjoy an afternoon’s worth of athletic games against competitor and fellow Mid-Atlantic Prep League (MAPL) school, The Lawrenceville School. The Peddie athletic teams fought until the very end of every single game. 

The games began at 1 p.m., where Peddie Girls’ Tennis and Peddie Girls’ Field Hockey took action. The Peddie Girls’ Tennis team started out with a bang by snatching the doubles point with a game-winning tiebreaker played by Courtney Cane ’25 and Ivy Zhao ’25. Cane noted that “they didn’t know the doubles point was coming down to our match” and was grateful that they “stayed positive throughout the tie-break and stayed calm even though it could have gone either way.” After the doubles point was determined, the girls played hard in singles and pulled out an incredible win against Lawrenceville for the first time since 2004. 

However, Lawrenceville was able to pull out wins against Peddie’s strong Varsity and Junior Varsity Field Hockey teams. Lawrenceville was also able to edge out Varsity Football and Junior Varsity Boys’ Soccer teams after a long day of hard-fought playing. 

The Junior Varsity Girl’s Soccer team took Lawrenceville by storm and established a solid 2-1 win. Down 0-1 with a non-scoring first half and the majority of the second half, the girls found a way to win with just 10 minutes left. Safiyyah Malik ’26 scored a goal with an assist from Olivia Campbell ’26. Peddie then took the lead with a shot attempted by Melania Amer ’26 and then rebounded for a goal by Cici Yang ’25. One motivation that Maansi Misra ’24 noted that was important while playing the game was that “they were striving to maintain an undefeated season, which pushed [them] in the last part of the second half to strike two in.”