New Teacher Spotlight – Dr. Klaiss

New physics teacher Dr. Rachael Klaiss hopes to demonstrate the contemporary significance of physics to Peddie students.

Out of all the exciting new teachers coming to grace the Peddie campus this year, Dr. Rachael Klaiss is one who is especially eager to teach in the physics classroom. Having just gotten her graduate degree from the University of Oregon, Dr. Klaiss drove all the way from Oregon to New Jersey to start her new life at Peddie. She now lives in Masters South, where she serves as a dorm supervisor.

As a new teacher for Honors Physics and Freshman Physics, Dr. Klaiss said she hopes to instill an appreciation for physics in her students. She values “connecting physics to things that everyone cares about” and said physics is “pretty unique in that it can be applied to so many different fields.”

Drawing on her research experience, she also hopes to make physics relevant to students in the modern world: “I’m hoping to bring in a bit more of what’s happening currently in science like scientific research, or like developments in health and biomedical sciences, how we use physics to apply to all the different things.”

Outside the classroom, Dr. Klaiss enjoys cooking. She grew up in New Jersey and went to university on the West Coast. During her time on the West Coast, her discontent with the Italian food there led her to learn how to cook Italian food herself. Now, she can satisfy herself with delicious pasta whenever she pleases. 

Dr. Klaiss likes to dance, especially jazz and contemporary ballet. She also enjoys running, although she commented that the recent weather has not been very favorable.

A fun fact about her is that her parents have a cockapoo named Blue who has one blue eye.

Peddie is excited to welcome Dr. Klaiss into the family and see what she will bring to the community.