Vice President Statement: Yanelly DeLeon

Candidate Statement

Hi Peddie,

If there was something you’d change about this school, what would it be? I’m sure it’d be many things, and I want to help you all voice that. You’ll be asking why am I running? It’s quite simple, I think we all deserve to have fun and be heard in this school. With me, don’t worry, you’ll be a great hands. My name is Yanelly DeLeon and I am a boarder junior from Trenton, NJ. I am running for the position of Peddie’s Vice President. At Peddie, I am involved in Theater and I help out with Dynasty. As your Vice President, I would want your ideas for community meetings and other school events to be considered. I believe community meetings should be a fun collaborative event that brings the school together and your voices are my biggest concern. With my humor, experience, and passion, I believe I could be a great leader for this school. I promise to do my best to increase student interest in the school and ensure that school is fun for everyone.

Governing student council and the school will take a good portion of your time, what other activities both in and out of school do you plan on participating in? How will you balance them?

As I manage many roles in my life, whether that’s my academic responsibilities, social life, or theater, I try to be flexible and practice time management skills. Right now, I practice time management by using Google Calendar. I try to schedule my days with meetings, homework, practice, and self-care. As Vice president, my time management will not change. I will continue to stay motivated and work hard while managing all my time and activities around it.

What qualities do you possess that makes you a good role model and representative that will allow you to be a leader of the entire school?

When being a Vice President, it is a position that requires a combination of leadership skills, responsibility, and a commitment to serving the student body. When thinking about what I can offer to you as your Vice President, I am known to be a natural leader. I am diligent, empathetic, and a humorous person. I tend to put other people’s needs before my own and as your Vice President, I will do that.

What ideas do you have for change and how would you implement these ideas? What would you like to continue?

I have thoughts of more inclusive all-school meetings, by doing so, I will take into consideration the student body’s interests and needs when thinking about future school events. An example of a community meeting that I would want to do teacher vs. student dancing competition, cause who wouldn’t love that? I would continue activities that include both the student and faculty body because I believe, it brings us together, which is an important value when thinking about our Peddie community.

Q&A

What are some clubs, activities, teams, or groups that you’re a part of on campus? 

On campus, I am involved in Theater. Along with being a part of both BSU, LatinX, and Dynasty!

What is your favorite Peddie tradition/Peddie memory? 

My favorite Peddie tradition would be Spirit Week/Blair Week. I love Blair Week and planning out my outfits for the whole week to match the themes of each day. Seeing how everyone else dressed up as well brings me joy. I think Blair Week unifies our community together and brings happiness as we celebrate Peddie being the best!

What are some things you like to do in your free time? 

In my free time, I like to hang out with friends, listen to music, and indulge in self-care. One thing about me, I’m gonna self-care my night away always. 

Favorite book/movie/TV show? 

My favorite book: Homegoing by Yaa Gysai or Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman

My favorite Movie: Magic Mike XXL or Shrek 2

My Favorite TV Show: Nevertheless, Law & Order SVU, Criminal Minds

(sorry I can’t decide on one…)

What song/songs have you been listening to most right now? 

CARNIVAL – ¥$, Kanye West & Ty Dolla $ign

One Call – Rich Amiri 

Ctrl (Deluxe) by SZA, it’s that season…

Succubus – Ken Carson

Share a fun fact about yourself! 

I am a sibling to 6 and an aunt to 8!