Farewell, Mr. Quinn!
Nikita Goyal ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
Ocean Breeze Invitational
Luke Chon ’26, Assignment Editor • March 30, 2024
Should Peddie Have Snow Days?
Stephanie Oh ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
WeSoar Co-Chair Interview
Claire Chen ’24, Editor-in-Chief • March 30, 2024

Co-President Statement : Ethan Yang

Candidate Statement

Through my last two years on Student Council, i’ve found that the role of President is not mysterious and/or daunting, but has a massive positive impact on our lives through three categories:

Events – As the president of the student body I will be in charge of leading discussions and planning for events on and off campus like HOCO, the Blair day pep rally, prom and so much
more. While lots of time is spent discussing these events, making them a reality is where the bulk of the work happens. I have and will continue to spend countless hours in the gym and
dinning hall to ensure you all have positive experiences.

Policy and student life – While working primarily with students, the president is also automatically part of the student-faculty senate. This group, composed of both faculty and
students (hence the name), works to locate the changing needs of the student body. Rules are put into place for certain reasons, but these reasons may change over time, therefore it’s one
of the president’s main responsibilities to address these shifts in perspective. As fellow students, we all tend to suffer from the same things. The things that you want changed are things I want changed as well like the wifi policy and more opportunities to destress and relax. I am your messenger and vessel to make change happen and get things done.

Creating a lasting legacy – This last one is talked about less but is equally important as the rest. We are all here for a limited amount of time no matter how long or short we want to stay. Our 4 years at Peddie will pass quickly no matter what you do, but the president has an obligation to lead our student body toward leaving the school in a better place for future classes to come. One of the most important things as the president is to educate future student leaders in how to become better at what they do. This is all in an attempt to pay forward what I have learned through my experience; both in what I think I’ve done well and things that I think people should avoid. So once my time here is finally up, I know the future leaders know how to do their job and they do it well.

I would love having the honor of being your president and I hope I have and can continue to make your 4 years here memorable.

Governing student council and the school will take a good portion of your time, what other activities both in and out of school do you plan on participating in? How will you balance them?

I do a good amount of extracurriculars and you can find me involved in almost all aspects of the Peddie community, whether that be athletics, stuco, clubs, or my volunteer swim school. That being said, in my two years on student council I haven’t failed any classes yet and I am still organizing and leading countless stuco events. If anything, this year will give me even more experience to be even better at what I do now. While balance is not in the vocabulary of a lot of Peddie students, I assure you that your happiness, and the happiness of the entire student body will be put before my own. I am your public servant and your wish (in reasonable scope) is my command😽.

What qualities do you possess that makes you a good role model and representative that will allow you to be a leader of the entire school?

While no one is born a leader, I’ve gained some experience these past few years that have given me qualities I think are necessary to leading the student body. I have a vision which I know I can make a reality – A vision is extremely important in getting things done. I have concrete ideas of what I want to accomplish and what needs to get done. With my previous experience on stuco, I know what is tangible and what may be too far fetched. This means time won’t be wasted trying to figure out goals and visible improvements can be made as soon as possible I am extremely transparent and approachable – I won’t keep secrets from you. In fact it’s one of my goals to get more people involved in the way this school functions. That being said, any questions about what the student council is working on I will happily answer. Outside of that I am someone you can confide in, while I won’t keep secrets from you, your secrets will be safe with me. I know I have flaws and I am always learning and trying to improve on them – No one is perfect, and I completely realize this. However I always allocate energy on working to find ways I can improve myself in order to help others, whether it be through consulting peers or learning from people who have worked for years to reduce their flaws. I don’t want to bore you with an extensive list, so while I possess other qualities, these are the ones I find the most important.

What ideas do you have for change and how would you implement these ideas? What would you like to continue?

One of the biggest changes I think this school needs is better communication between the student council and the school’s administration. As many of you already know, Peddie will be implementing a new schedule this coming fall. Student council was informed of this only after the faculty had voted on it and it was decided that this schedule would be used. While I am certainly not objecting to this change (we’re gonna get every other Saturday off) the lack of communication is slightly frustrating. If this change had instead hurt the student body and was implemented without our consent, chaos would ensue. As president one of main goals is to close this bridge ensuring each decision the schools makes has a fair and positive impact on the student body. By gathering more voices and opinions we can ensure that changes made benefit everyone, not just a certain demographic. Something I would love to continue is fostering this amazing community we have. By continuing to organize exciting events, I hope to create opportunities for the student body to come together.

Q & A

What are some clubs, activities, teams, or groups that you’re a part of on campus? 

Peddie Men’s Swimming, MAP, Student Council

What is your favorite Peddie tradition/Peddie memory? 

Running around the bonfire in my speedo! 🏃

What are some things you like to do in your free time? 

Sleep 🙂

Favorite book/movie/tv show? 

The notebook.

What songs have you been listening to most right now? 

All I Want for Christmas is you – Mariah Carey

Share a fun fact about yourself! 

I know all the winter constellations. Let’s go stargazing 😜