Peddie’s Zazzy Production of The Prom Really Changed Lives

Peddie Flickr

Vibrant colors, dazzling music and pride flags were in the air. From the glitz and glam of Broadway stars to the heartfelt struggles of a high school girl, the whole musical is a rollercoaster of emotions. That’s what it’s like to experience Peddie Theater’s “The Prom,” brought to the Peddie community from February 15-17 in Geiger Reeves Theatre.

The musical starred Brooke Gomez ’24, Jake Mileski ’26, Ethan Sbarro ’26 and Emily Crehan ’25 as narcissistic Broadway actors Dee Dee Allen, Barry Glickman, Trent Oliver and Angie Dickinson. They seek out a notable cause in order to better the public’s perception of them, and land on the story of 17-year-old Emma from Indiana, played by Chris Solidum ’25, whose school prom was canceled because she wanted to go with her girlfriend Alyssa, played by Stephanie Oh ’26. To accommodate the numerous settings throughout (such as a high school, a bedroom, and an Applebee’s), the set crew worked very hard to create fun props that brought atmosphere to the stage.

Another important element of the show was the colorful lighting that also added to the visual ambiance. The Peddie students in the lightbooth spotlighted the actors using bold stage lights for moments like Dee Dee’s dramatic performance of “The Lady’s Improving” or Emma filming an emotional TikTok song in her cozy bedroom. The backstage crew was also there in order to ensure smooth transitions between sets, aptly dressed in janitor outfits to go with the high school theme.

Without the engaging music of the pit orchestra, the scenes wouldn’t have packed as big of a punch as they did. The musical featured many upbeat tunes such as “Changing Lives” and “Barry is Going to Prom,” as well as passionate ballads like “Dance With You” and the catchy finale song “Unruly Heart.” Students played various string, brass, and percussion instruments to project the lively spirit of the musical. The pit orchestra supported the actors all the way, with conductor Alan Michaels stating that “presenting a theatrical musical takes a team effort.” Along with the music, all actors engaged in exciting dance numbers such as “Love Thy Neighbor,” where the rude high school students learn acceptance through a comedic tune. 

Not only was the musical fun for the viewers, but also for the students that took part in it. Students acted as directors, actors, musicians and set crew, and in the process were able to see the production brought to life. “My favorite part about working on the musical was seeing everything come together,” said Nathan Moreno ’27, a member of the set crew. “It’s really cool to see every step of making the musical happen.”

But perhaps its most impactful aspect was its heartwarming message about acceptance that touched the audience. “I love that we have opportunities to present our community with productions that are culturally relevant, serious, and yet fun to experience,” said Mr. Michaels. The musical’s theme of inclusivity, no matter who you are and who you love, is still important today, and the actors did a great job of conveying that.

Through the collective effort of Peddie students and faculty, “The Prom” was a success that ultimately united the community together in warmth, laughter and affection.