Farewell, Mr. Quinn!
Nikita Goyal ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
Ocean Breeze Invitational
Luke Chon ’26, Assignment Editor • March 30, 2024
Should Peddie Have Snow Days?
Stephanie Oh ’26, Staff Writer • March 30, 2024
WeSoar Co-Chair Interview
Claire Chen ’24, Editor-in-Chief • March 30, 2024

Sophomore Volunteer Trip

Sophomores cleaning up litter, Peddie Instagram

As one of Peddie’s most revered graduates, Ambassador Walter Annenberg’s “strive for the highest quality of citizenship” mandate endures in the school’s current mission. Peddie strives to guide students to become ethical and capable citizens. The school encourages contributions ranging from practicing a sport off-season to standing up for a friend, and of course, community service.

On October 4, the sophomore class gathered forces to make a difference. They were divided into seven groups, with some groups focused on campus, and others dispatched off campus.

On-campus efforts included a group of students that met in the library to file and organize books to donate to the local Book Fair in Hightstown, while others went around campus filming videos to send to Peddie alumni and promote community outreach. Another group also traveled around and outside campus, picking up litter. Even trash can tell a story, and Jerry Yao ‘26 relayed a profound experience of “finding 10 empty bottles of whiskey in the same area,” ultimately deepening his perspective and empathy of not just the Peddie community but the Hightstown community as well.

The remaining students were sent off campus, with one group traveling to Meadow Lakes, a nearby senior living community, to help clear the area of potential hazards like fallen trees and branches. Two groups were sent to elementary schools, with one group reading at Walter C Black Elementary and the Better Beginnings group helping to take care of the kids by serving them lunch and winding them down for nap time. 

As a seasoned volunteer through her local church, Ophelia Ni ‘26 expressed that “community service can be very fun and cool” and that she is “glad that [she can] help out at Peddie and the surrounding communities instead of just at [her] hometown.” Less experienced but equally committed sophomore Ethan Gao ’26 gushed that in addition to “be a rewarding experience,” he has a newfound appreciation for community service, and he “admires the people who do this kind of stuff every day.” Both Ni and Gao are eager for more volunteering opportunities, and though this experience was a beginning step for many, the day ended with the hope that students will continue to contribute and create a habit of good citizenship.