Freshman Rep Candidate Q & A – Aria Shi

Why should your peers choose you to represent them on the Student Council and in the Peddie community? What qualities do you possess that will allow you to be a successful representative? What ideas do you want to bring to Student Council?

People think that freshman year elections are just a popularity vote, and while it’s partially true, I feel that it’s more than name recognition. For me, being a class representative means putting in effort to understand my peers. It takes commitment and hard work. Balancing helping yourself and helping others is not an easy task, but I believe that I can do a good job of it— in my life I manage lots of activities, and those experiences equip me for this role. Peddie is an amazing school by itself, but the student voice is what makes us so unique. Just think about how many dedicated behind-the-scenes classmates helped organize and run the Blue and Gold Games, Blair Day, community meetings, or class events! I have a ton of possible plans if you vote for me: offering chopsticks in the dining hall, actually providing feminine hygiene products in all buildings, starting a volleyball club, and getting a better basketball hoop in front of Longstreet. These ideas are ambitious, and I can’t guarantee that everything you ask of me or that I want to achieve will be met, but I promise to work towards any improvement. I’ll listen to any suggestions with openness and understanding, and I will show the school community the capabilities of our class of 2027!
Ala Viva and vote for Aria! 😀

What have you enjoyed most at Peddie this fall?
I loved my fall at Peddie. It has been one of the best school terms in my life, for so many reasons. There have been so many fun activities and things to do since September, especially Blair Day and homecoming. I’ve also learned many valuable lessons already— taking Peddie’s rigorous math curriculum helped me develop good study habits and learn how to perform well on tests, my music classes (orchestra, chorus, and freshman musical) taught me to appreciate and love the arts even more, and crew taught me about discipline in sports and life, and punctuality! But my favorite part is the people; everyone’s welcoming and friendly attitude towards me has made me look forward to school every day!

What are some clubs, activities, teams, or groups that you’re a part of on campus?
I’m in orchestra and chorus, and I did crew in the fall term.

What is your favorite Peddie tradition so far?
Pretty much any time there’s school spirit– Blair Day and Week, Blue and Gold Games, Humantiies Games, etc.

What’s your favorite holiday?
Christmas! There’s music, pretty decorations, good food, and gifts.

What is your favorite Peddie memory?
Being in the freshman musical was super fun and I met so many talented and kind people!

What’s your favorite tv show?
I don’t watch TV shows, but my favorite musical is Wicked.

What are some things you like to do in your free time?
I like hanging out with my friends and having fun with them. I also play guitar and sing.