AP Government Students Participate in Union Bingo

Sonal Gupta '18, Staff Writer

AP Government students watched the State of the Union address together and participated in the annual bingo contest on Jan. 12. Students received a Bingo card with what may be said in the President’s speech. Once the students filled out a row in their Bingo card, they received raffle tickets to win prizes such as Presidential Mad Libs and dorm room items. Every student received a raffle ticket for simply showing up to the viewing party and earned extra raffle tickets for dressing up in costumes.

Alison Hogarth, a member of the History Department teaching AP Government and AP United States History classes, first created the game. She has been organizing the State of the Union bingo party for four years.

“The State of the Union is a fascinating political event (justified by Article II of the Constitution), but it is also an act of political theater.  This event helps recognize both these ideas,” Hogarth said. She hopes to make AP Government a more interactive class for the students and to have them engage in the material and learn more by playing games. She has stated that it combines both AP Government material and political theater, a major component of politics.

Amy Qian ’16, an AP Government student, agreed that the game was both interactive and engaging for the students which allowed them to get a better sense of what they were learning.

“The game is extremely fun and I have learnt a lot from simply playing the game and watching the State of the Union address while having fun,” Qian ’16 said.