What Did You Do This Spring Break?

A beach in Barbados. Photo courtesy carribean360.com

Uma Mani '20

With the end of winter term comes spring break and two weeks of total relaxation.  Though the term “spring break” may bring to mind sun, sand, and sea, on such a diverse campus like Peddie, students found different ways to relax and prepare for another busy term.  International students and boarders returned home or left for vacation, and day students went on college visits, stayed at home, and spent time traveling with friends and family.  

Chi Phan ’20 spent her two weeks visiting universities across the country with a college tour group of a dozen students.  Flying from New York to Chicago to San Diego, she spent hours in information sessions and on campus tours getting to know a large selection of colleges and experiencing their college towns.  The informative trips involved a lot of firsts, including her first time ever eating McDonalds and visiting so many famous American cities. “I enjoyed getting to know the rest of the kids in the tour group over the two weeks, and I thought it was a lot easier to compare the colleges since we visited so many in such a short time,” Phan said of her experience. “The organizers made the trip feel like a vacation by giving us freedom to explore the cities and get a feel for the campuses ourselves.”

In contrast, Xavier Fredericks ’19 had nothing related to school on his mind as he relaxed in the sparkling oasis of Barbados, an island nation in the Caribbean.  Staying near the coast, Fredericks spent his break with his family, exploring the beaches, taking in the unique culture, and of course, eating great food on the island known as the ‘Culinary Capital of the Caribbean’.  The infectious music, vibrant traditions, and striking style of architecture drawn from West African and British cultures make Barbados a beautiful country to visit. Although he thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of his trip, Fredericks focused on the country’s bright character. “From the immersive culture of the people to the untapped beauty of the land, Barbados truly offers something comparable to paradise,” said Fredericks.

On another exotic trip was Emily Yang ‘21 who spent her break in Dubai, a populous city in the United Arab Emirates known for its ultramodern architecture and luxury.  Dubai is home to the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, which Emily visited both in the day and night to get panoramic views of the cityscape. She also spent hours in the Dubai Mall which encompasses over 50 football fields of boutiques, restaurants, and entertainment.  Later, she explored Jumeirah Beach and Old Dubai, soaking in the sun and wandering through the historical, traditionally built neighborhoods. Overjoyed with her experience, Emily reflected on her trip saying “Dubai, a city of constant change and growth, consisted of memories and experiences of a lifetime.”

Overall, whether Peddie students spent spring break curled up on the couch or exploring the world, it was a much needed period of rest and recovery from winter term, universally enjoyed as a time to rejuvenate for the term ahead