New Freshman Interviews: Navigating the Nest at Peddie

Nearly two weeks ago, Peddie welcomed its freshman class to the nest. Although most returning students could now easily describe Peddie as their second home, they will most likely agree that freshman year, especially the first few weeks, can be very socially taxing; most of Peddie remembers being thrown into a new environment with little to no familiar faces. After a draining two weeks of introducing themselves not only to each other but also returning members of Peddie more than a hundred times, some of Peddie’s newest Falcons spoke to The Peddie News about their experiences. 

When asked about their general opinions on Peddie, responses varied from complaints about the lack of air conditioning in Masters to apprehension about their schedules as they were busier than expected. However, a common point made by every interviewee was the difficulty of being away from home. “As an international student who flew 14 hours to study here, I’d be lying if I said that I do not miss home,” said Ginna Kim ’27. “I didn’t acknowledge that there were differences between staying in my homeland and not, and although this is only my second week in Peddie, I already feel homesick.” Homesickness is something most, if not all, boarders can relate to, no matter their distance from home. This can especially be difficult for freshmen boarders, some with no previous experience of sharing a room, who live away from home at a young age. “Living away from home at fourteen is bound to be difficult one way or another,” said River An ’27, also commenting on missing home. 

Nevertheless, no matter the struggles of being new at Peddie, these freshmen ended on a positive note, expressing excitement for the memories they have already made and for more to come. Kim finished her interview with an appreciation for the opportunities Peddie brought her: “I enjoy those small trivial moments I create with my dorm friends and classmates. Even though I am still in the adjusting stage, everything is getting better as days pass, and I feel like Peddie will be my home someday in the near future.” 

An ended on a similar, optimistic note. “My favorite moment so far has been learning the Cotton Eyed Joe […] from a girl I’d never talked to before,” said An when asked about her favorite moment at Peddie so far. “Despite our busy schedules, soon to be busier, I know I won’t go about it alone,” she added, speaking about her opinion on Peddie. “I’ve found myself genuinely excited for the next four years on campus and the valuable friendships beyond.”