New Dress Code Rule Incites Various Reactions among Students and Teachers

By: Jesse Zhou ’16
Staff Writer

Recently, Assistant Head for Student Life, Melanie Clements sent out an email forewarning that three dress code violations will earn a student one day of in house suspension arousing a controversy in the Peddie community.

While some students ignored this policy, others, who were more comfortable with lenient dress code, were shocked at its enforcement.

“Like the car policy, the rule is not new, though the enforcement of the rule is new,” Peter McClellan, dean of students said. “The deans feel as if a one day in-school suspension is a ‘slap on the wrist’ for anyone who isn’t able to follow the dress code.”

The faculty members have their own opinions on the dress code.

“For me, it’s stricter for girls than boys,” Spanish teacher Allison Schaefer said, referencing the illegality of leggings.

This proclamation comes at a time when dress code is already a hot button issue. After long weekend, boys were prohibited from wearing shorts. Some boys thought that the weather has been too hot for pants and found it unfair that girls are still allowed to wear skirts. In protest of this, several males donned skirts, citing that that article of clothing still conformed to the dress code.

“We want equality on all fronts, including dress code,” says Kyle Halbrecht ’16, one of the boys who protested the lack of shorts.

Dress code violations used to be small infractions, such as a late, and were excused as long as students change their outfits into dress code permitted ones. However, many are now wondering if this new dress code rule is overly unreasonable.

“Four missed classes equal a short meeting with a dean, but forgetting to wear a collared shirt will result in an in-school suspension. It just doesn’t seem proportional,” Victor Leo ’16 said.

Dress code has always been a point of debate between students and faculty and this new ruling will prove to be a point of great discourse in the coming months.