A Winter Sports Wrap-Up: An Overview of Winter Competition

By Janine Karo ’15
Section Editor

Swimming

The swim team ends their regular season with a combined 7-1 record. In the MAPL meet held Feb. 8, the boys team broke five pool records. Patrick Park ’14 most notably set the boys 100-yard butterfly record at 48.55, breaking his 2013 previous record of 48.66. The team will close their season at the Easterns Scholastic Swimming Championship, held Feb. 20-22 at LaSalle University.

Boys Varsity Basketball

Boys Varsity Basketball ends their regular season with an 18-3 record, with championship wins in the Peddie School Invitational Tournament (PSIT) and the Mercer Tournament. The team advanced to the semi-finals of both the MAPL tournament and the NJSAA championship before falling both times to perennial rival Blair.

Boys JV Basketball

The boys JV basketball team ended their season Feb. 12 with a 7-5 record. Despite losses to MAPL rivals Lawrenceville, Hun, and Hill, the team dominated two games against Blair, going 60-55 and 38-31. Additionally, the team won matchups against Princeton Day, Pennington, Wardlaw Hartridge and Solebury.

Boys Thirds Basketball

Boys Thirds Basketball ended their season on Feb. 7 with their second win of the season against Pennington. Their 3-5 record was complete with a win against MAPL rival Hill.

Girls Varsity Basketball

The girls varsity basketball team ends their regular season with a 12-3 record, including wins at the Bullis Classic Championship and against MAPL rivals Hill, Mercersburg and Hun. The team beat Lawrenceville in the semi-finals of the MAPL championship, but fell to Blair in the finals, 63-50. The girls received a bye in the quarter-finals of the NJSAA championship, and once again beat Lawrenceville on Feb. 16 to advance to the championships held on Feb. 18 against Blair.

Girls JV Basketball

The girls JV basketball team ended their season with a 2-5 record on Feb. 14 with wins against Springside-Chestnut Hill and Trinity Hall. Judy Castillo ’14 was recognized for her contributions to the team when Athletic Director Jim Domoracki awarded her the Rock, an award given out to a student athlete during Community Meeting for quality performance. She was the first JV athlete to be awarded the Rock.

Track

The track team heads into the Eastern State Championships Feb. 17 with a combined 14-1 record. At the NJSAA Indoor A Championships on Feb. 8, the boys team clinched second place and the girls placed third, both out of seven teams. Individual successes include Justin Blankson-Phipps ’15 winning both the 55-meter and the 200-meter sprint, David Ryslik ’15 winning the shotput, and Liam Wall ’14 and Colin Mulligan ’15 finishing 1-2 in the 3,200. Emma Robinson ’14 grabbed second place in the high jump, Aly Hoyt ’15 received third in the 200, and Bridgid Greed ’16, Katie Keyser ’16, and Mecca Harris ’16 claimed bronze in the 1,600, 3,200 and shotput, respectively.

Wrestling:

The wrestling team ended their season with a 2-10 record with consistent performances. Dylan Carpe ’14 led the Falcons with second-place finishes at both the Hill School Invitational and at the Mercer County Tournament on Jan. 11 and Jan. 31-Feb. 1, respectively. Patrick Creamer ’14 earned third, Brendan Carpe ’15 captured fourth and Tim Boyce ’15 grabbed fifth at both competitions.