Peddie Football Upsets Hun’s 30 Win Streak

Peddie offense lines up against Hun. Photo courtesy Jack Null.

Jack Null '18

The Peddie varsity football team defeated the Hun School of Princeton, even though many assumed the game would be an easy win for the previously undefeated Hun School. Hun’s 30-game victory streak, intact since 2013, has been broken.

Up until the game, Peddie held a league record of 2 wins and 1 loss, and an overall record of 5 wins and 2 losses. Hun School held a league record of 2 wins and 0 losses, with an overall record of 7 wins and 0 losses.

It became clear that the Peddie Falcons would upset Hun’s goal of holding a 30 and 0 record at the end of the first half. The score stood at whopping 54-7 in favor of Peddie, initiating a running clock for the second half.

In the Mid Atlantic Prep League (MAPL) rules, if a football team has a 35 point advantage or greater by the end of the first half, a running clock is initiated for the second half. The clock is only stopped for timeouts, injuries, and penalties. This means that the two 12 minute quarters run by quickly, ensuring that the winning team is virtually guaranteed a victory.

When asked how Peddie was able to beat Hun, team captain and Vanderbilt University commit Daniel Dawkins ‘18 replied, “We were focused the whole week, the intensity was there, we were fully physical, and we took care of our bodies outside of practice while getting ready for this game. We watched film nonstop, did defensive homeworks that we had to submit to coach, which were a big key because we knew exactly what they were running on defense. Our linebackers were calling the plays that Coach Parker was supposed to be calling before he even got a chance. We knew their defense like the back of our hands.”

The final Peddie football game of the 2017 season will be a home game against Blair, who also holds a 3 and 1 record in the MAPL. Both Peddie and Blair will fight for first place in the MAPL championship on November 4th, which will be determined by the winner of the game.

When asked how Peddie will be able to beat Blair, senior captain Tyler Tedeschi said, “In all honesty, we just need to play the same way we played against Hun, practice with the same intensity, stay focused, and approach it like any other game. It’s all about us. We don’t even worry about the other team, because when we play our game, we’re unstoppable.”